Eclipse is one of the most popular IDE that exists. The main advantages that it has is there are hundred of plugins that make it not only suitable to work with Java, but with Python, PHP and many other languages.
I am going to show how to download and install eclipse on the computer. In this case, I am using the last version of eclipse until now, Indigo.
1. Open the browser and go to the web page of eclipse
2. Click on Downloads and choose "Eclipse IDE for JAva EE Developers"
3. On the right bar, there is a list of Operation Systems. Choose which you are using. In my case, Mac OS X (Cocoa 32)
4. It will show a download page. If after a while, the download process hasn't started, click on the download symbol.
5. Once the file has been downloaded completely, unzip it.
6. In the new folder of eclipse, you will see many files. The most important one is the one called "Eclipse":
7. Double click on it. A popup windows will appears.
8. Because it is the first time we launch the application, it will ask you for the work directory. This is the directory where we store all our projects. If you always want to use the same directory, you might check the option "Use this as default and do not ask again".
9. Finally, when the application has been launched, it will shows you the welcome screen.
10. Finally, if you click on WorkBench, it will shows you the default work screen where you can start coding.